Monday 5 December 2011

Peach and Blueberry Tart



Well hey all you summer-lovin' folk out there.

Hip hooray for summer! The sun is shining, the birds are singing - oh no wait, the weather has been cold and wintery and rainy and AARGH. I thought I'd be all summery and bake a lovely fruity tart for this fine weather, but the atmosphere has been ever so moody, and is having a little laugh behind my back, I think. Well, wherever YOU are, I hope the weather is nice, so you can enjoy this delicious seasonal treat.


Another hip hooray is in order because... school is finishing the day after tomorrow! Hopefully now I will be able to take a big breath and not think about all the stuff I have due the next day.

And sorry for doing this but... Christmas! Yay, woohoo, yeehaw!
Ok, enough. I know you get sick of my jolly holiday talk.


I cannot believe that the school year is finally drawing to a close. This year has been a tough one, and an amazing one. I have achieved so much (like my little blog, and my friend Sian and I's plate stall), and am so lucky to have the people in my life to support me in what I do every day. I feel I have really grown up this year, and for the first time I am feeling that even if I do leave home soon, I'll be able to cope independently, because I know what a loving and caring support network I have right here at home. I love everybody! Thankyou.

I don't really know what spurred me to write what I just wrote. I just had a really appreciative sort of moment just then! Wow. I hope that all you readers out there (if you're out there) have that same kind of love and sense of kinship that I have here. If not, I hope you find it very soon.


Ok! On to the tart! What more needs to be said? It's yummy, it's fruity, it's fresh, and it's perfect for sharing with your loved ones.

Recipe adapted from Always With Butter (amazing blog + photos).


Peach and Blueberry Tart

Serves 8

Ingredients:

For the crust:
125g unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/4 tsp almond essence (but don't fret if you can't find it in a shop)
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups plain flour
For the filling:
1/2 cup thickened cream
1 egg
1/4 tsp almond essence
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp honey
3 peaches, sliced
2 punnets blueberries
Icing sugar, sifted, to dust

Method:

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius, and grease a 23cm tart pan.

In a large bowl, mix together the butter and sugar until smooth and well-combined. Add the remaining pastry ingredients and continue to mix until blended nicely.

Press into the tart pan, including up the sides, and bake crust for 12-15 minutes, until puffed slightly and lightly golden.

For the filling, whisk the cream, egg, essences and honey until well-combined.

Arrange the fruits nicely in your cooled crust, and pour the filling over the top. To make your tart look pretty, don't cover all the fruit with the filling, leave the tops uncovered.

Place the tart back in the oven (still in the tart pan), and bake for 45 minutes, or until the filling is set and it is starting to go lightly golden. Straight after removing from the oven, sprinkle with icing sugar.

When ready to serve, sprinkle again with a dusting of icing sugar.


No comments:

Post a Comment