Friday 3 February 2012

Coconut Panna Cotta with Berry Reduction


Hello once again, mes amis!


Well, school's back, and so is the rain! It's pretty cool how the weather can predict the feelings of all the schoolkids! Summer has disappeared completely, I fear. And what's more, there is terrible flash-flooding up in northern NSW. Stay strong, northern compatriates!

So, Valentine's Day is coming up... and I still have no idea what to blog about! Chocolate is the obvious choice, and so is going crazy with the red food colouring - but I don't want to do that! Meh, I'll think of something.


School is going to be pretty hectic for the next 8 months, so I think I will have to cull back my blogging - oh, it breaks my heart! But this is my last year at school, and after that, I'll be free as a bird to bake till my heart's content! 

So, these panna cottas are AH-MAZING. Like, legitmately incredible. Dad proclaimed it 'the best dessert ever', and then proceeded to inhale his jar of the stuff. Oh, I'm currently obsessed with jars. I know, once again, I'm a little behind on the whole 'food blog fad' business, but I am just coming to terms with how cute and shiny and clear they are! You can do so much sweet baking stuff with them too. Love!


So I decided to put the panna cottas in the jars. You don't have to, I guess... But don't say I didn't warn you! The jars almost enhance the delicious experience of these silky, coconutty desserts. And the berries! Oh, the berries! I simply adore jelly, and the fresh berries just make it so much juicier! You could almost eat the cooled reduction on its own - but don't! You must try these awe-inspiring jars of goodness!

Coconut Panna Cotta with a Berry Reduction

Serves 4


Ingredients:
2 cups thickened cream
1 1/2 cups lite coconut milk
1/2 cup caster sugar
Pinch of salt
1 envelope plain gelatin powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp coconut extract
Berry Reduction:
2/3 cup water
6 tbsp caster sugar
2 tbsp blackberry jelly
1 cup fresh blackberries and/or blueberries


Method:

To make the panna cotta, Place 1/4 cup of the thickened cream in a small bowl, and sprinkle the gelatin over the cream. Let it set for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, whisk gently. The mixture will be extremely lumpy. Set aside.

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the remaining thickened cream with the salt and sugar until simmering. Stir in the extracts and remove from the heat. Whisk in the gelatin-cream mixture, then the coconut milk. Strain the panna cotta mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a large bowl, then, using a funnel or jug, pour evenly into 4x120ml sterilised jars (which look super cute!) or glasses, or if you want to get fancy, ramekins which you can pop the panna cottas out of later. Chill for a minimum 2 hours.

For the berry reduction (or let's just face it, yummy jelly topping), bring the water and sugar to a boil in a saucepan, and cook until reduced by half. Add the jelly and stir until dissolved. Add the berries and cooks until they are soft, but still hold their shape. Pour onto the set panna cottas and chill once more, until cold.









2 comments:

  1. Found you from "in the kitchen" while looking at panna cotta recipes. This one looks yummy and can't wait to try it!
    (Allaboutroam.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! i love this recipe dearly, i make it regularly! :)

      Delete